Dear University Park Neighbor,
I hope are you all coming off a great long weekend. I spent the weekend here in UPark. In addition to spending time with family and friends, I worked on this email, the Purple Pages, the UPWords and also had some great interactions with neighbors and wanted to share one.
A neighbor offered up some barricades for the UPCC to use at events and I was being lazy about picking them up. The next day, a neighbor called because she and her spouse were having a block party that night and each thought the other person was getting the barricades and now, hours from the party’s start, they had no barricades. It was so great when I could tell her to go to an address a few blocks from her home and in the front yard, were some barricades for her to use. I think what this what living in UPark is all about; looking out and helping one another, even if in the simplest of ways.
The following are the announcements for September 2012.
- UPCC Fall General Meeting
- UPCC Fall General Meeting is Wednesday, October 10, 2012 at University Park Elementary School beginning at 6:30pm. The theme of the meeting with be “Neighborhood Development Updates“, click to view agenda.
- The UPCC is looking for a family or business to provide refreshments at our General Meetings. This is a fun way to meet new neighbors and help out your community. Email email@example.com if interested.
- UPCC is happy to announce some new faces to our board.Please congratulate and thank the following if you see them out and about:
- Traffic and Transportation Chair James Bettinger
- Membership Chair John Rogala
- Purple Pages Editor Janet Bardwell
- UPCC is in need of help with our fun neighborhood events. If you are interested, please email Dana at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sidewalk Committee Looking for Volunteers: If championing sidewalks in our neighborhood is important to you, email email@example.com to learn more about being on our sidewalk committee.
- All interested in a Native Plant educational walk in a portion of Prairie Park are welcome to contact Diana Helper and add their ideas and support. Call Diana Helper at 303-733-4902 or firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- The bridge at McWilliams is in and now they are dredging the gulch.
- Neighborhood Safety Update
- District 3 Police is now on Facebook. You can stay up to date on crime alerts, officer news, etc., offering 2-way communication between citizens and District 3.
- UPCC Safety Chair attended the August 2, 2012 District 3 CAB meeting. Here are his notes.
- View the crime statistics for UPark for first six months of 2012 compared to first six months of 2011.
- Reminder to keep garages closed. Tell your neighbors to alert you if they see your door open and we are told there are apps for your smart phone that can help.
- Large item pick-up is this month for our neighborhood. View schedule.
- New neighbor Welcome Packages will go out next week. If you know of a rental near you, email email@example.com and we will make sure your neighbor gets one.
- UPark Elementary News
- Lend a hand…(or a green thumb) on Garden Building Day for our new Learning Landscape TODAY, Thursday, September 6, 4:00 p.m. Please bring a water bottle and wear closed-toed shoes.
- UPark is going to need on-going help with the some of the new planters. Email Hiedi Wester firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help care for a bed.
- UPark is looking for a crossing guard before and after school. For more information please call the office, 720-424-3410.
- King Soopers & Safeway prepaid grocery cards are available for anyone wanting to support UPark. They are FREE with a nominal starting balance, then you load it at the store. 5% of your purchase is donated back to the school. Contact Amy at email@example.com.
- Entertainment books available beginning September 10th at the school front desk. They are $30.
- Fun Run on October 14th, more information coming soon!
- Check the school website or the Facebook page for more information about UPark Elementary
- 2012 Mom’preneur Marketplace is looking for vendors for the October 14th event. If you are a small business, crafter, online seller or just want to test the market with your product this is a great way to do. Learn more.
- Presidential Debate Update
- There will be street closures starting in September. Learn more.
- DU will be not be able to provide tickets to the actual debate, as most tickets go to the media.
- DU will be hosting a viewing of the debate on campus with faculty, students and neighbors called “Debate Fest”. Learn more about Debate Fest
- This is a FREE event, but you must have a ticket and the UPark Neighbors are invited.
- If you would like tickets to this fun event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the number of tickets you would be interested in and we will arrange to get them to you. Deadline is September 28th.
- Tickets will be distributed beginning September 14th. You will get an email with details about pick-up/delivery.
- Denver is looking for election judges for the November 6 election and you could be one. Learn more.
- If you want to express your political support, there are Political Sign Restrictions in Denver.
- Learn about ways you can support the UPCC.
List of Upcoming Neighborhood Events:
- Saturday evening, September 22nd, Chamberlin Observatory Open House.
- Saturday, September 29, 2012, Mayor Hancock’s Cabinet in the Community at Montclair Recreation Center, 729 Ulster Way, Denver, CO 80220. 9:00 a.m. – noon. Note from Dana: These are very interesting!
- September 29th, 2 – 4pm Accelerated Schools will host and serve an Afternoon Tea at the school. Enjoy teas from Ceylon Pearl Tea Company and 15-year old student and prodigy pianist will play a selection of solo piano pieces. Space is limited and tickets will sell fast. Please call Marianna or Jane at 303.758.2003 to reserve/purchase your tickets.
- Tuesday, October 2nd, Colorado International School Tea Party.
- Tuesday, October 2nd, the University Park Moms Club is hosting a Safe Parenting Seminar with Feather Berkower. Learn more.
- Wednesday, October 3rd Walk to School Day. Watch out for our kiddos.
- Wednesday, October 3rd, Presidential Debate hosted by DU. THERE WILL BE STREET CLOSURES.
- Wednesday, October 10th, UPCC General Meeting 6:30pm Social Hour, Meeting begins at 7pm
- Saturday, October 13, 2012 INC’s Annual Neighborhood Conference the Wellington E. Webb Municipal Building 201 W. Colfax Ave. 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- October 14th Neighborhood Fun Run and Mom’preneur Market Place
The University Park Community Council, (UPCC) mission is to promote and enhance the quality of life in the University Park Neighborhood. Thank you for your continued support.
To donate visit https://upcc.us/support.