Dear University Park Neighbor,
We are sending May announcements a early to give you time to mark your calendars for all the great upcoming events in our neighborhood. Also, I am aware that April’s email had some bad links and I have talked to our QA team and docked their pay from $0 an hour to $-.01 an hour. I am hoping this will eliminate the problem in the future.
We have sad news to report in that long time neighbor, volunteer and friend Mary Myers passed away last week. She was a true example of giving back to the neighborhood. She championed sidewalks for years, was part of the Buchtel Boulevard Parkway Coalition, she represented the neighborhood on the Inter-Neighborhood Cooperation and was part of its Zoning and Planning Committee, she participated in Transportation Solutions citizen council meetings, she distributed dictionaries to students at UPark Elementary, she served as a block captain and area coordinator for the UPWords and was always thoughtful, helpful, smart, and dedicated to improving the neighborhood and the city. She was a dear person who touched many lives in her quiet ways and will be missed. There will be a service for Mary this Friday morning at 11am at Fairmount Cemetery’s chapel adjacent to the main building
The following are the announcements for May 2013.
- UPCC General Meeting is Wednesday, May 1st at 6:30pm. Proposed agenda below. Check back on the website for final agenda.
- 6:30 – 7 pm – Social Time with Neighbors. Thank You to RoofStar Colorado for providing refreshments.
- 7 – 7:20 pm – Welcome, UPCC Open Positions, Park Updates, Development Updates, Harvard Gulch Improvement Initiative
- 7:20 -7:25 pm – University Park Home Tour Details
7:25 – 7:45 pm – Allan Wilson, University Of Denver Assistant Director Facilities Management & Planning: Pending Construction Projects at the University
- 7:45 – 7:55 pm – Zoning and Status of 2400 S University Block
- 7:55 – 8:00pm – Vote on 2013-14 UPCC Executive Board
- 8:00 – 8:15pm – Comments and Questions
- University Park Home Tour & Tour De Classics Car Show is Sunday, May 5th from 11am – 5pm:
- Prairie Park Updates
- We need you to get involved in our neighborhood. Here are some ways:
- The UPCC is looking for someone to champion sidewalks in our neighborhood. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Do you like the UPWords delivered to your door five times a year? We need help with delivery on the following blocks.Learn more about the system.
- 2300 S. Josephine
- 2600 S. Josephine
- 1800 S. Madison
- All of south side of East Yale (can be divided in two)
- Mary Myers was a Delivery Captain for our UPWords. She delivered batches of UPWords to block captains (18 homes). We now need help with this. If you might be interested in this email email@example.com or learn more about the system.
- Do mistakes in this email bother you? Get on our QA team and eliminate them! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The only confirmed retailer we are told of for One Observatory Park (building at Evans & University) is Qdoba.
- On Friday, April 26, a 12.1 mile long West Rail Line will be the first FasTracks line to open. RTD will offer free rides throughout the entire light rail system on Saturday.Learn more.
- Community Vegetable Garden in Observatory Park.
- Saturday, May 18th, at 1:00 p.m., for meeting with the Observatory Park vegetable garden volunteers. South/east corner at Fillmore and Warren
- Thursday, May 23. 5:30-7pm is planting day.
- Volunteers are still welcome. Contact email@example.com or call 303-733-4902 to learn more.
- The Neighborhood Garage Sale will be June 7 & 8. Box stuff up and hold onto it until then. Additional Details.
- If you want to participate, be on the map and/or to get on the Salvation Army pick up schedule, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Learn about ways you can support the UPCC.
List of Upcoming Neighborhood Events:
- Saturday, April 27th, 8:00 am until 3:00 pm, Multi-family Yard Sale at Parzival Shield at 2180 S. Madison Street – across the street from the Accelerated School.
- Monday, April 29th, all day, fundraiser for Prairie Park at the Slotted Spoon Meatball Eatery. RSVP here.
- Wednesday, May 1st 6:30 – 8:15, UPCC General Meeting. Click for agenda.
- Friday, May 3, 5:00-9:00pm, 11th Annual Ladies Night Out at the Schlessman Family YMCA.Learn more.
- Saturday, May 4th, 9 -noon, Free Mulch Give-Away sponsored by Garden Centers of Colorado. Learn more. .
- Sunday, May 5th, 2013 University Park Home Tour and Tour De Classics Car Show. Learn more.
- Tuesday, May 7th, 10am, Colorado International School tea . Origin is Dubai.
- Saturday, May 11, 2013, 9 – 11:00 a.m. Mayor Michael B. Hancock’s quarterly Cabinet in the Community Town Hall at Hamilton Middle School located at 8600 E. Dartmouth Avenue, Denver, CO 80231. The objective of this meeting is to help communicate the entire City’s vision and priorities to its residents.
- Saturday, May 18th, at 1:00 p.m., for meeting with the Observatory Park vegetable garden volunteers. North/west corner at Fillmore and Warren.
- Saturday, May 18th at dusk, Chamberlin Observatory if open to public to night viewing. Learn more.
- Tuesday, May 21 is field day at UPark Elementary. Be on the lookout for kids walking to and from our parks.
- Thursday, May 23, 5:30-7pm is planting day at the Observatory Park Community Garden email@example.com for more info.
- Wednesday, May 29, 6-8pm. Good Neighbors meeting at the University of Denver. More info.
- Friday and Saturday, June 7 & 8, 2013 University Park Neighborhood Garage Sale. Additional Details.
- July 4th, 10am Independence Day Bike Parade and Pumper Spray.
- Saturday, August 17th, 5:30pm UPCC Neighborhood Band in the Park. More to come.
The University Park Community Council, (UPCC) mission is to promote and enhance the quality of life in the University Park Neighborhood. Thank you for your continued support.
To donate visit http://upcc.us/support.