HALLOWEEN SAFETY (distributed by District 3 Police, Denver, CO)
Helpful hints to keep your kids safe
Before you go out:
- Feed your children to help cut the urge to snack on the route.
- Bring your own candy, so your children won’t eat unchecked treats.
- Costumes should be flame-retardant, warm and not too long.
- Masks should fit properly and have large eyeholes.
- Use non-toxic face paint or makeup.
- Put reflective tape on trick-or-treat bag.
While you are out:
- If you have small children, go out before dark.
- Children should go with an adult, carry a flashlight and wear flameretardant,
- reflective clothing.
- Carry glow sticks or wear glow jewelry to be easily seen by drivers.
- Be careful not to break or bite glow sticks/jewelry.
- Trick-or-treat only in familiar, well-lit areas.
- Only visit homes you know.
- Look left, right and left again before crossing streets.
- Use crosswalks when possible and don’t run from between parked cars.
- Stay away from dogs or other animals.
- Give and accept wrapped candy only.
After you are home:
- Carefully check all treats before allowing your children to eat them.
- Only eat candy from original, unopened, and undamaged wrappers.
- Throw away candy if wrappers are faded, torn, or signs of re-wrapping.
- When in doubt, throw it out!!!