Dear University Park Neighbor,
Our fist general meeting of 2013 will be held on Wednesday, February 6th at University Park Elementary. We will be talking about development in and around the neighborhood and have two representatives from the City to talk about coyotes. Visit our website for full agenda.
The following are the announcements for February 2013.
- Winter UPCC General Meeting Wednesday, February 6th 6:30 – 8:3opm . Click for agenda.
- 6:30 – 7 pm – Social half hour with refreshments. Thank you to Accelerated School at Cook and Warren for sponsoring the refreshments.
- 7:00 to 7:10pm – Welcome and Announcements, Dana Strand O’Connor, President of UPCC
- 7:10 to 7:40 pm Neighborhood Development updates, including a representative from the YMCA
- 7:40 to 8:20 pm – Coyotes in the neighborhood. Doug Kelley, City Animal and Wildlife Programs Coordinator & Scott Gilmore, Deputy Manager of Parks & Planning
- 8:20 to 8:30 pm – Community Comments
- There have been accounts of aggressive coyotes in our neighborhood. Come to the February 6th General Meeting to hear from representatives from the City. Read about hazing.
- The UPCC is in desperate help with the delivery of our UPWords.
- We need a coordinator(s) who can initiate our UPWords delivery process and keep-up the digital contact list of our block captains. The UPWords is delivered five times a year and the role can be shared with a neighbor or friend. Please email email@example.com if you are interested or to learn more.
- UPark Elementary Silent Auction Monday, February 11th, 6 – 10pm, at Max Gill and Grille. All are welcome!
- Get your tickets at the school office or online. Use event code UPE211 .
- There is still time to donate items. Email micah.dhondt (at) comcast.net if you or your business has an item to donate.
- Denver Water is looking for customers for a Lead and Copper Pipe Study.
- If your home qualifies (built before 1920 and has lead service lines), you would receive in return both the results of the test (a $40 value), as well as two $50 credits on your water bill (a $100 value).
- If interested contact Maria Rose 303-628-5996 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Transportation Solutions is focusing on the South University corridor traffic at its February 21st meeting. UPCC will have representatives at this meeting. If you have concerns, please contact UPCC’s Diana Helper at 303-733-4902 or email James Bettinger at email@example.com
- Grow Local Colorado is working with Denver Parks to have a community vegetable garden in Observatory Park. This entails a group of at least ten volunteer tending the bed at least once a week. DPR would provide seedlings, seeds, planting, watering, and take-down of the garden. If interested or for more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DPS School Choice Applications are due January 31st.
- Denver Recycles wants you to “show your love” for recycling with the “I Heart My Purple Recycling Cart” photo contest. Denver residents are encouraged to submit creative photos showing their support for, and love of, recycling. for more into visit their site. Submissions due noon, Monday, February 11th.
- Welcome Packages have been delivered to new neighbors by the UPCC. If you know of a neighbor or a rental neighbor that didn’t get one, please email email@example.com
- UPark Elementary is looking for two Crossing Guards for the intersection of St Paul Street and Iliff Avenue and St Paul Street and Wesley Avenue. For more information please call the office at 720.424.3410. This is a paid position.
- Free Trees for Denver residents from the The Park People. Application available online and due by February 15
- Ross – UHills Library is still closed but I am told it will reopen January 30, 2013. Check their website before you go.
- Neighborhood Tip: Come to the UPCC General Meeting on February 6th and get a coupon for a free burger at the new Larkburger.
- Learn about ways you can support the UPCC.
List of Upcoming Neighborhood Events:
- Tuesday, January 3oth, UPark Elementary School Fund Raiser at Pei Wei at 3970 Buchtel Blvd. Bring in this flier so the school gets credit.
- Saturday, February 2, 2013, 3-4:00pm, Accelerated Schools proudly presents Jiaqi ‘Dragon’ Long In concert at Augustana Lutheran Church. Additional details.
- Tuesday, February 5th at 10am, Colorado International School hosts tea. Country is China.
- Wednesday, February 6th 6:30 – 10pm UPCC Winter General Meeting. Click for agenda.
- Saturday, February 9th, 9am, UPCC hosts the INC meeting at the Heritage Club. We are grateful to the Heritage Club for providing the beautiful space and refreshments for our meeting.
- Monday, February 11th, 6 – 10pm, University Park Silent Auction. All are welcome. Get your tickets at the school office or online. Use event code UPE211 .
- Saturday evening, February 16th Chamberlin Observatory Open House.
- Tuesday, February 19th, 6pm the Parks & Rec Committee of INC meets at the Heritage. All are welcome to attend.
- Wednesday, February 7th at 7pm DU-Good Neighbors Meeting. DU’s Allan Wilson presents updates and discusses neighborhood concerns. Visit their website for exact location and parking info.
- Tuesday, March 5th at 10am, Colorado International School hosts an international tea. Country is Syria
- Tuesday, March 5th, UPark Elementary School Fund Raiser at Larkburger next to King Soopers at 2750 S Colorado.
The University Park Community Council, (UPCC) mission is to promote and enhance the quality of life in the University Park Neighborhood. Thank you for your continued support.
To donate visit http://upcc.us/support.