Below is information about specific commercial development sites in our neighborhood:
Areas of Interest
Lot South/West of University Light Rail Station
George Thorn and Mile High Development, LLC are planning and affordable housing project for seniors. This will be similar to the building by the Yale Light Rail Station. Completion is set for Summer of 2013. Click for additional details.
Colorado Center Updates:
1) Long Bar is slated to go into 2000 So. Colorado Blvd. in the fall/winter of 2012/13. This is the building that also houses Dave & Buster’s and the United Artists movie theater. We are told the Long Bar is going into is located on the south side of the building and its entrance will be to the left of the United Artists’ theater. Long Bar is a Restaurants-America concept and will be the first of its kind which Restaurants-America has opened. It will feature upscale, American fare and market itself to a professional crowd for both lunch and dinner. It will feature a full bar, but concentrate on craft beers and wines.
2) A pedestrian/bike bridge is planned for a crossing over I25 from the Colorado Center (Birch Street) to Mexico Avenue. It will be an uncovered bridge and and have a ramp and stairs only. No date for construction is set.
2100 blocks of Madison and Cook, north of the Fitzroy Mansion
(6/18/12) Ground has been broken for two homes on the Cook Street side of the property north of the Fitzroy Mansion (Accelerated School). Developer Wally Hultin of Byers Street Properties owns the property on the Madison side. UPCC is not sure of the time frame of development on that side of the street.
SE Corner of University and Evans
- 9/15/11: Below is an rendering sent to the UPCC of the new buildling.
- 6/1/11: The public was invited to the inaugural demolition on Wednesday, June 1 The following was the invite. Details
- 5/6/11:Edits to the details of this article were made after developer David Elowe spoke at the UPCC General Meeting on May 4, 2011.UPCC has been working with the developers on this project since 2008. The 75,000 sq. ft. site was rezoned from R-3 (which would have allowed unlimited height) to RMU-30, which allows retail, residential, and office use. Retail is planned for the ground floor, with residential on the upper floors. Height will be restricted to 120 feet; 140 would have been allowed. There will be 213 units. The structure will have a zero setback, permitted under RMU-30 zoning. Development is set to begin late May/June of 2011. Time to completion will be about two years.
- If you have concerns about the constructions, please contact Shaw Construction if there are individual concerns.
- Retail space tenants are still being considered and will be entertained further into the projects. The aim is to get in tenants that serve the community.
- One thing to note, the original plans, were for a building over 200 feet. After working with the UPCC, the developer has conceded to 120 feet, This is approximately the same height as Vista Lofts.
- Typical work hours will be 7am – 5pm.
- There will be some street closures on University and Evans. More on University.
- The plan is for approximately 200 apartment rental units averaging 980 feet. The units will range from 1 to 3 bedrooms, with most being 1 or 2 bedrooms. The units will be market rate, aiming to attract professionals. not student housing. The ground floor will contain 25,000 – 26,000 feet of retail. Parking will be off the alley, wrapped by the structure. There will be 50-60 parking spaces below grade for retail and on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels there will be approximately 230 spaces for the rental units. The parking for the rental units is a little over 1-1 unit.
- Fitzroy Place (Madison & Evans): Current construction activity includes the building of a alley with underground sewer, water, and utilities for five lots for custom homes.
- Colorado Station Transit Oriented Development Overview: Construction activity includes the building of a alley with underground sewer, water, and utilities for five lots for custom homes.
- Colorado Center (SE Corner of I-25 & Colorado, N of Light Rail Station)
- (5/9/09) Construction of the University Station apartments in the 1900 block S. Josephine has been put on hold. There is only a large empty site. No date set.
- The City of Denver University Park Small Area Plan.
- (5/9/09) Scholar’s Walk condos on South University Blvd. across from the Newman Center are high-end units and are for sale.
There are five “Brownstones” under construction on the NW corner of E. Iliff Ave. and S. Josephine St.
- (5/9/09) Five “Brownstones” have been completed in the 2000 block of S. Josephine (between E. Evans and E. Asbury Aves.) are for sale.
- (11/5/08) On Oct. 20, City Council approved the zone change application to RMU-30 for mixed use. The developers are working with Shears Adkins Architects to develop plans for the project. Concept plans will be presented at the next UPCC members meeting on February 11, 2009. They will begin marketing efforts for the retail space immediately and hope to start construction in the summer of 2009.
- Asbury Green (Asbury Btw Josephine and Columbine): The 354-bed Asbury Green Student Housing at 2400 E. Asbury Ave. opened fall 2009. Asbury Green is being built by Kiewit Building Group for MacKenzie House, a residential development company. Plans are for six-story “high-end student housing” with two parking levels and four residential levels offering four-, three-, two- and one-bedroom apartments plus studios. The location is a 1.4-acre tract south of Asbury Avenue between Josephine and Columbine streets. Additional details can be found in this Denver University Article.
- University Park Station at 1945 S. Josephine St.: 109-unit condominium project located near the University of Denver campus and the DU light rail station. Planned height of 80 feet and 7 floors. Completion date was 2007.
- University Lofts University & Evans35-unit condominium project will also include 8,800 square feet of ground floor retail and two levels of below grade parking. Planned height of 75-feet and 6 floors. Completion date was 2007. Retail includes Jordan’s Bistro, TCF Bank, Jamba Juice.
- (NW Corner of Evans and Colorado BoulevardCurrent occupants include Office Depot, Vitamin Cottage, Verizon Wireless, Wells Fargo, and a seasonal Halloween store. The developer also set aside $250,000 for public art, and UPCC worked with him to chose the artists. Learn more about this effort in our UPCC in Action page.
- Observatory Place (University and Warren)73 unit condominium project located adjacent to the University of Denver campus. Planned height of 65 feet with 5 floors. Completion date was 2006.
- DU Student Housing Tower (I-25 & UniversityThis private venture residential tower will be used for student housing. As part of the project, the developer will add two floors to the existing RTD parking structure located next to the tower and a light rail station. Planned height of 155 feet with 13 floors. Completion date was planned for 2007.