Dear University Park Neighbor,
The following are the announcements for August 2012. Please consider supporting the UPCC by participating in our “I Like” campaign for the Purple Pages. Deadline has been extended to THIS Friday, August 3rd.
- Thank you to all that attended the July 4th Parade. We had the BIGGEST turn our ever and with the proceeds from the refreshment sales, the UPark Moms Club donated $650 to the 2012 Colorado fire relief efforts.
- Please Support the UPCC University Park Purple PagesDirectory
- The UPCC publishes and distributes the Purple Pages Directory to all residents of University Park in September (2300 households). This a free service to the neighborhood and there are two ways you can help support the effort:
- UPCC is in need of a person (or people) to help with the UPWords distribution. The time commitment is about 5 hours 5 times a year. It involves picking up the newsletters for distribution, grouping the newsletters for distribution and getting them to five area coordinators. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more or express interest.
- All interested in a Native Plant educational walk in a portion of Prairie Park are welcome to contact Diana Helper and add their ideas and support. Call Diana Helper at 303-733-4902 or email@example.com if interested.
- The UPCC is looking for a family or business to provide refreshments at our next General Meeting on Wednesday, October 10th. The meeting is in the evening and it is a fun way to meet some new neighbors and help out your community. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
- The Park People’s 4th Annual Tree Distribution is accepting applications now for trees distributed on October 6th. You can apply online. Deadline is September 1 and trees are only $25.
- UPark Moms Club is hosting a donation drive for Hope House this Wednesday Aug. 1st at 4 pm at Observatory Park playground or items can be dropped off at 2217 S. Clayton. Items in special need are Enfamil formula, size 3 or 4 diapers, wipes, baby shampoo and lotion, toiletry items and grocery store cards. Click here for other items in need.
- July 23, 2012 a coyote was spotted walking on the street near Warren & Madison. Here is information about hazing.
- Work on Harvard Gulch between S. Columbine St. and S. Steele St. is expected to be complete mid-August.
- UPark Elementary News
- Check out the progress on the new Learning Landscape
- DPS students return to class August 27th. Be on the look out for our neighborhood kids.
- Monday and Tuesday August 20th and 21st, 7am-3pm is registration for all students. If your child is going to attend UPark, you must register.
- Tuesday, August 21st, 4-6pm is the Watermelon and Welcome Social where students can meet their teacher.
- Thursday, August 30th 6-8pm is Back to School Night for parents.
- Presidential Debate Update
- DU will be not be able to provide tickets to the actual debate, as most tickets go to the media.
- DU will be hosting a viewing of the debate on campus with faculty, students and neighbors called “Debate Fest”.
- The UPCC is working with DU to secure neighborhood tickets.
- This is a FREE event, but you must have a ticket
- If you think you are interested in attending this fun event, please email email@example.com with the number of tickets you would be interested in.
- Tickets will distributed in September, this is only a preliminary step to gauge interest.
- On October 2nd, the University Park Moms Club is hosting a Safe Parenting Seminar with Feather Berkower. Learn more.
- Learn about ways you can support the UPCC.
List of Upcoming Neighborhood Events:
- August 10 – 12th, Denver County Fair
- Tuesday, August 7th, National Neighborhood Night Out. Planned activities in Denver parks do not need permits that evening. The UPCC is not sponsoring any events this year, but picnics, street parties, other neighborly gatherings are encouraged. (NOTE! We had the wrong date in our last email!)
- Saturday, August 18, 2012, Quarterly Mayor Community Cabinet Meeting. Learn more.
- Wednesday, August 22, at 7 PM, DU Good Neighbors Meeting, , at Sturm Hall (across from the tennis courts), Room 154. All the latest about the Presidential Debate plans, street closures, library, construction, neighborhood event offerings, plus an opportunity to share your concerns. Click for additional info and parking information.
- Saturday evening, August 25th, Chaberlin Observatory Open House.
- Slow Foods Denver, Grow Local Colorado, and Healthy Realities have partnered to create a city-wide picnic event on Sunday, September 16 at 11:30 am – 1:00 pm. Learn More.
- Wednesday, October 3rd, Presidential Debate hosted by DU.
- Wednesday, October 10th, UPCC General Meeting 6:30pm Social Hour, Meeting begins at 7pm
- October 14th Neighborhood Fun Run and Mom’preneur Market Place
The University Park Community Council, (UPCC) mission is to promote and enhance the quality of life in the University Park Neighborhood. Thank you for your continued support.
To donate visit http://upcc.us/support.