|Dear University Park Neighbor,Spring has arrived a bit early this year and I hope you are been able to get out and enjoy the great weather. The following are the University Park announcements for April 2012.
- 2nd Annual Neighborhood Garage/Yard Sale, June 1st and 2nd, 7 am to 2 pm
- All University Park neighbors are invited to participate by hosting a garage/yard sale at their own home. Organizers will create maps and advertise for you. Any unsold items will be picked up by the Salvation Army starting at 2:00 pm June 2nd.
- To participate and/or to schedule the pick-up, please notify Jen Schmidt at [email protected] or call Pam Adams at 303-898-3598 before May 29th. Provide your address, phone number and email for contact purposes for the Salvation Army pick up list (no one else will be given the addresses).
- UPCC Summer Kick Off June 10th with
Music in the Park!
- The UPCC is hosting the Humbuckers (a local band – starring a University Park resident!) at Observatory Park on the evening of June 10th. Bring your picnics, blankets, and friends for an evening of music, dancing and fun.
- Nominate a UPCC Officer for the Annual Election
- The annual election for UPCC officers, including President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer, will be held at the upcoming UPCC May 2nd general meeting. The nominating committee is preparing a slate of candidates to be presented at the meeting for a vote. To suggest a candidate or participate on the nominating committee, please call Ellen Van Ness-Seymour (303-759-2488).
- Advertise in the UPCC Purple Pages.
- UPCC Purple Pages comes out late summer every year and is packed with local information, contact names and numbers and is a great way to advertize your business to the community. For more information, email [email protected]
- University Park Elementary News
- UPark is getting a new Learning Landscape (a.k.a. playground) this summer. The PTA has organized a personalized Legacy Tile project that will be a part of the Landscape. Tiles can be purchased at $100 online or email [email protected] to learn more.
- UPark Home Tour and Tour De Classics, May 6, 2012
- Check out all the amazing homes on this year’s tour and stay up to date on all the happenings the Facebook page and don’t forget to “like” the Home Tour page.
- Purchase tickets
- The tour needs volunteers the day of the event. Discounted tickets will be available for these volunteers in addition to a volunteer party. Contact Kirsten Pratt at [email protected] if you can help.
- Congratulations to Mr. Hernandez UPark’s fabulous librarian was honored by channel 9 as April’s “9Teachers Who Care“. Check out the story.
- 4″ Clay Pots new or in good condition are needed for a school project. If you have some you can drop them by the school office or leave them on the porch at 2219 S Harrison Street.
- The Schlessman Family YMCA is hosting a Ladies Night Out, Friday, April 13, 5:00-9:00pm. The night is open to the public and will feature “spa”-like services. Learn more.
- Street Sweepers will be in UPark the 3rd and 4th weeks this month so please try to keep your vehicles off the street. If they do go around your car, it would be great if you can tidy up the area yourself in the interest of cleaner Denver air and water. Learn more.
Presidential Debate is Coming to DU
- DU is slated to host the first Presidential Debate on October 3rd. Learn more on the DU website.
- A DU representative will be at the UPCC May 2nd general meeting to talk about the event and give you a chance to ask questions.
- The UPCC is looking for a Neighborhood PR Team for the lead-up to the debate. Over 3000 press personnel are expected and the press will be looking for human-interest type stories about our great neighborhood. If you have an interest in PR and want to work on this fun special project, email Dana O’Connor at [email protected].
- National Library Week is April 8 – April 14. Visit your public library and check out some special events.
- The City has launched a website for public opinion. Check it out.
- Please Consider supporting the UPCC.
Other Upcoming Neighborhood Events and Announcements:
- Multi-family Yard Sale at Parzival Shield Waldorf School, 2180 S. Madison Street, Saturday, April 21, 2012, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. All welcome.
- Washington Park Boathouse Re-Grand Opening April 14, 2012, 10am – 12pm.
- April 18 the Buchtel Blvd./Pkway Coalition (BBC) meets at 7 p.m. at the Heritage Club, 2020 S. Monroe, to plan strategies for further safety and landscape along this parkway. All are welcome. Contact Mary at [email protected] for more info.
- April 28 Chamberlin Observatory Quarter Moon Saturday evening Open Houses 7-10pm, weather permitting. More info.
- Tuesday, May 1st, 2012. Colorado International School International Tea Parties at 10:00 a.m. and neighbors are welcome. Country is Tajikistan.
- UPCC general meeting is Wednesday, May 2nd, social hour at 6:30, meeting at 7pm at UPark Elementary at Iliff and St. Paul. We will have a plant and seed give away to all attendees!
- UPark Home Tour and Tour De Classics, May 6, 2012
- DU Good Neighbor Meeting is May 23rd in Stern Hall Rm 154 from 7-9pm. They will be discussing the logistics of the Presidential Debate. Parking and additional info.
- Neighborhood Garage Sale June 1 and 2nd
- June 10th, UPCC Band in the park featuring the Humbuckers.
- July 20th, Schlessman YMCA hosting a Family Movie Night. All UPark Neighbors are welcome. More details to come.
The University Park Community Council’s (UPCC) mission is to promote and enhance the quality of life in the University Park Neighborhood. Thank you for your continued support.
Tom Gonnella and Dana Strand O’Connor, on behalf of the UPCC Board
[email protected] and [email protected]
To donate visit https://upcc.us/support.